Indigo and Umami
William T Goodall
2008-07-20 03:04:58 UTC
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.

Progress Maru
--
William T Goodall
Mail : wtg-FAjn8uNKAGMCqOQrDF6SL1pr/1R2p/***@public.gmane.org

"The three chief virtues of a programmer are: Laziness, Impatience and
Hubris" - Larry Wall
Max Battcher
2008-07-20 06:13:03 UTC
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
Don't forget that we're down to 8 planets and up to 2 plutoids (Pluto,
Eris).

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/
sendai
2008-07-20 07:59:08 UTC
Post by Max Battcher
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
Don't forget that we're down to 8 planets and up to 2 plutoids (Pluto,
Eris).
Just to confuse things even further, I think the current count is 4
dwarf-planets (Ceres + ) 3 of which are plutoids (Eris, Makemake,
Pluto,) and many many plutoid candidates... :s
Charlie Bell
2008-07-20 09:23:27 UTC
Post by Max Battcher
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
Don't forget that we're down to 8 planets and up to 2 plutoids (Pluto,
Eris).
And Ceres should be a "Plutoid" or a planetoid (as it's collapsed to
near-spherical under its own gravity), but the rules are stupid and
subjective.

Charlie.
Mauro Diotallevi
2008-07-22 19:58:50 UTC
On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM, William T Goodall
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
I thought that there were still 7 colors of the rainbow *including*
indigo. I learned the colors as ROY G BIV -- Red Orange Yellow Green
Blue Indigo Violet.

Or did you learn a different system?
--
Mauro Diotallevi
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive.
Dan M
2008-07-22 20:06:33 UTC
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
I thought that there were still 7 colors of the rainbow *including*
indigo. I learned the colors as ROY G BIV -- Red Orange Yellow Green
Blue Indigo Violet.
Or did you learn a different system?
Well, when I was a kid I noticed that the colors blended to the point that I
couldn't tell. Now that I'm older, I know there is a rich infinity of
colors in the rainbow. :-)

Dan M.
Julia Thompson
2008-07-22 20:14:21 UTC
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
I thought that there were still 7 colors of the rainbow *including*
indigo. I learned the colors as ROY G BIV -- Red Orange Yellow Green
Blue Indigo Violet.
Or did you learn a different system?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

"Color scientists do not usually recognize indigo as a significant color
category, and generally classify wavelengths shorter than about 450 nm as
violet."

Also, there's a source text from the 19th century at Wikipedia on this
very question; the tinyurl for it is http://tinyurl.com/5f8afl

My resident color expert says it's just a word game. :) Then again, he
knows more about color *science* than color *words*.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow#The_place_of_indigo
"All the Roy G. Biv mnemonics follow the tradition of including the colour
indigo between blue and violet. Newton originally (1672) named only five
primary colours: red, yellow, green, blue and violet. Only later did he
introduce orange and indigo, giving seven colours by analogy to the number
of notes in a musical scale. Some sources now omit indigo, because it
is a tertiary color and partly due to the poor ability of humans to
distinguish colours in the blue portion of the visual spectrum."

My kids' crayon boxes have red, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet; if
you buy a box of 8 crayons, you get all those but not indigo. I
personally conform to the crayon box school of "rainbow colors".

(Oh, and Resident Color Expert warns that magenta, pink and brown are
*not* rainbow colors, just in case anyone thought any of them might be, or
ought to be.)

Julia

Bored Enough To Write a Post This Long Maru
Ronn! Blankenship
2008-07-23 08:07:18 UTC
Post by William T Goodall
[...]
Magenta, however, is a secondary additive color, or a primary
subtractive color, along with cyan and yellow.

. . . ronn! :)
Pat Mathews
2008-07-23 12:20:41 UTC
Actually the colors are or, argent, gules, vert, azul, purpure, and sable.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/
Julia Thompson
2008-07-23 12:41:53 UTC
Post by Ronn! Blankenship
Post by Julia Thompson
(Oh, and Resident Color Expert warns that magenta, pink and brown are
*not* rainbow colors, just in case anyone thought any of them might be, or
ought to be.)
Magenta, however, is a secondary additive color, or a primary
subtractive color, along with cyan and yellow.
You can find yellow in the Sun's spectrum. You can't find magenta in the
Sun's spectrum.

Julia

William T Goodall
2008-07-22 20:39:43 UTC
Post by William T Goodall
There used to be seven colours in a rainbow and four basic flavours
(sweet, sour, bitter, salt) and then indigo became a shade of violet
and umami became the fifth basic flavour.
I thought that there were still 7 colors of the rainbow *including*
indigo. I learned the colors as ROY G BIV -- Red Orange Yellow Green
Blue Indigo Violet.
Or did you learn a different system?
When I was in high school back in the 70s a biology teacher explained
that Newton squeezed indigo into the rainbow because of his
numerological obsessions. And we got to look at the Ishihara colour
test cards and discovered one of our classmates was colour blind.

Bit of a shock for him, but it's OK he's a consultant surgeon now.

Not a pilot Maru.
--
William T Goodall
Mail : wtg-FAjn8uNKAGMCqOQrDF6SL1pr/1R2p/***@public.gmane.org
Web : http://www.wtgab.demon.co.uk
Blog : http://radio.weblogs.com/0111221/

"I wish developing great products was as easy as writing a check. If
so, then Microsoft would have great products." - Steve Jobs